No Batteries: Top Toys for Christmas 2012
We are going to look at the top toys for christmas 2012 that do NOT require batteries! While this may seem like mission impossible in today’s world, there are still some great toys out there that will work without power.
While there are many good reasons you want to introduce your child to electronics, you may want to get them something that doesn’t make a lot of noise or require you to keep putting out money to keep the toy going.
Best Baby and Toddler Toys with No Batteries
We are going to start with babies and toddlers. You may be surprised at how many great toys are out there that do not need batteries.
- Melissa & Doug Deluxe Wooden Railway Set – This is available for around $100 and is good for 2 and 3 year old boys (and girls) who are into trains in a big way. There are a lot of other less expensive sets out there, but this one has everything your child could want … and a little more. When it comes to wooden trains, this one is on the top of a lot of lists for good reason. There are over 100 sections of track and at least 30 different accessories for them to play with. You do want to make sure that they have some room to play, however. Overall, this is a very good choice if you can spare the money.
- BionicBlox Foundations Kit – For children age 3 and older, this is one of the best building toys out there. A lot of work and effort has gone into making these fun as well as educational. And they do not require batteries, which is a good thing. The toys are made in the USA and you can read more about BionicBlox here where we did a full review. From buildings to bridges to wooden robots, the only limit is your child’s imagination. Another cool thing about these is that they are compatible with other building sets for kids. So, your existing toys will work with them, which is nice.
- Playskool Mr. Potato Head – For children age 2 to 4 years old, Mr. Potato Head is a classic. You may note that he used to have a pipe that came with him, but the new Mr. Potato Head is a bit more conservative and doesn’t have that “accessory” anymore. Still, this is a classic toy that will help children learn about their eyes, ears, nose, and mouth. The toy has great “a-peel” for kids. And when you consider the price – under $20 – you really can’t go wrong if you’re looking for a small gift for a small child.
Top Toys With No Batteries for Elementary Children
For preschool and kindergarten age children, we have some toys that they will love that do not require batteries.
- Play Doh Big Barrel – This is an oldschool toy, for sure, but there are still many children who love playing with Play Doh. Recommended for children age 3 and up, you do want to make sure they know not to eat it, but even if they do it’s non-toxic. One of the best things about this gift is the price. You can get a large “barrel” of Play Doh for around $20, making it one of the more economically enticing presents with no batteries required. This kit has Play Doh, of course, but it also comes with some accessories that make playing with it more fun.
Popular Toys for Young Children w/Out Batteries
You would think that as children get older they are going to want more and more electronic toys that require batteries, but this is not always the case. Here are some gifts they will love even without any need for power.
- Art 101 142-Piece Wood Art Set – For budding artists or children who have shown an interest in art, this is a great relatively inexpensive way to get them the tools they need to create awesome works of art. Available for around $30, this is recommended for children age 6 to 15 or so. The set includes pencils, crayon pastels and supplies for watercolor painting. For the price, it’s hard to beat this one. It should give any child hours and hours of enjoyment. It should also be noted that because of the low price, the box is not the best quality and may not hold up over time. Still, it’s a great no-batteries bet in our book.
Other Ideas for No-Battery Toys
If you have other ideas for toys and gifts that do NOT require batteries, we would love to hear from you. Leave a comment below and let us know your ideas. Thanks!
Related Top Toys Blog posts:
- Best Kids Tablets for Christmas 2012
- Best Toys 2012: Kmart Releases Fab 15 Christmas List
- Best Toys for 4 Year Old Boys for Christmas 2012
- Best Toys for Christmas 2012 – Top Toy Reviews
- Best Dinosaur Toys for Christmas 2012