Plus Size Halloween Costumes for Women and Men
Sexy and Cheap Plus Size Halloween Costumes
INDIANAPOLIS, IN - Many Americans deal with obesity problems and weight loss issues, but issues with being overweight should not stop a man or woman from enjoying Halloween to the fullest. In fact, there are many great unique and sexy Halloween costumes out there.
Tips For Buying Cheap Plus Size Halloween Costumes
One problem with finding cheap plus size Halloween costumes is that ready-made costumes often get more expensive in the bigger sizes. Although this makes sense considering that they may use more material, it really doesn't make things easy for larger women. Here are a few ways to save.
- Make Your Own Costumes - It should go without saying that homemade Halloween costumes have the biggest money-saving potential. However, it's also a good way of making sure the costume fits you better. The better a costume fits you, the better you will look and feel on the night.
- Shop Online - The internet is a fabulous resource for cheap plus size Halloween costumes. Most websites have a bigger selection of larger sizes than you'll find in stores, and they will often be priced competitively, too. Always check whether there are any coupons available before you buy from any Halloween costume website.
- Buy As Early As Possible - Like the other holidays, prices go down right after Halloween. This means that costumes are cheaper just after Halloween, where you'll often find huge markdowns even on the most detailed Halloween costumes, in a variety of sizes.
- Get Creative - Being a bit more creative with your Halloween costumes can help you to save a lot of money. For example, you may purchase a few key items or accessories for one particular costume idea. For the other elements of the costume, think about whether you have any old clothing or items around the home that you could adapt for the purpose.
- Buy From Charity Shops - Visit charity shops and have a look at the second hand clothing they have on sale. Now, you're not directly looking for cheap plus size Halloween costumes here - if they have them, great, but it's not likely. Instead, you're thinking outside of the box. Look for things that have the potential to be turned into something else.
Do not stick to clothing in your size, either. If you see a nice cheap dress in an interesting fabric, buy it so that you can tear it up and make it into something new when you get home. The same goes for accessories that you think could add to any Halloween costume theme.
Plus Size Halloween Costumes For Men
When it comes to finding plus size Halloween costumes for men, there are plenty of different characters for you to choose from. No matter what shape you are, these are fun costumes that look great at any Halloween party.
- Superheroes - Many superheroes are on the large size thanks to huge muscles - this makes them the perfect plus size Halloween costumes for men. They just wouldn’t look right on a lanky man! Some of the best characters for this include the Incredible Hulk, Superman and Iron Man. Many of these costumes come with built in muscle definition for an authentic look.
- Monks - The monk has a reputation for being bigger than average, so why not make the most of this fact and choose this as your Halloween costume? There are plenty of ready-made monk costumes available, but if you want to make your own then just get your hands on a long brown tunic. And don't forget the bald patch at the top of your head!
- Vampires - As plus size Halloween costumes go, there's a huge selection available for men who want to dress up as a vampire this Halloween. These usually consist of black pants, a black shirt and a colored vest - not forgetting the famous vampire cape accessory and fangs.
- Big Ghosts - Ghosts and the Grim Reaper are both popular themes for plus size men at Halloween. If you're the kind of person who wants a comfortable costume that's not too tight then these are the costumes for you. They're easy to put together too - you can create the tunic from scratch and get your hands on a good mask to complete the look. And if you decide to go as the Grim Reaper, don't forget the classic scythe!
- Funny Plus Size Halloween Costumes - For MenLastly, you could choose a comedy costume this Halloween. Many men opt for costumes that make an obvious point of their size for a humorous look. For example, some men dress up as pregnant women for a few laughs on the day, or you could go as a giant Halloween pumpkin!
Plus Size Halloween Costumes For Women
Plus size Halloween costumes for women aren't limited at all: there are plenty of costume ideas to suit all shapes, sizes and styles. Here are five of the best female plus size costume ideas to get you started this Halloween.
- Flapper - Flapper costumes are fun and sexy no matter what your size. Flapper dresses often come with layers and tassels which help to cover up any bumps you might want to hide. They make use of sequins, bright colors and beads which will attract attention towards you in all the right ways! Flapper Halloween costumes also give you the chance to wear a dramatic short bob wig, and don a feather bower for the ultimate expression of your womanly freedom!
- Clown - Clowns always make fun plus size Halloween costumes for women at Halloween. You don't have to go for the traditional red fuzzy hair and baggy trousers, either. Some other clown costume ideas include hoop dress skirts with bright wigs, colorful tights and spotty shoes. Want something even more unique? Then opt for a Nightmare Before Christmas clown costume.
- Renaissance Woman - The renaissance woman costume is always a firm favorite at Halloween, especially for plus size women. The benefit of these costumes is that they're designed for people with curves! This way you can show them off instead of hiding them away, and you'll look fantastic. Just make sure that you opt for full skirts - those thinner at the waist and wider at the feet will be the most flattering for your figure.
- Vampire - Vampires come in all shapes and sizes, so they also make a good theme for plus size Halloween costumes. For ladies who don't want to show off too much skin, there are a number of plus size costumes featuring full gowns and corsets for the "gothic" vampire look. Vampires also dress in dark colors which are known to be slimming, especially when combined with long necklaces and strategically placed belts.
Pirate - The classic pirate wench features a flowing skirt, long boots and a peasant blouse. A corset can help show off those beautiful curves, then add a flowing wig, bandana and sword to complete your pirate look. If you prefer you can also wear black leggings under a long blouse for an alternative plus size pirate look.
Perfect Plus Size Witch Costume To Flatter Your Figure
The witch has long been one of Halloween's most famous characters, making the plus size witch costume an extremely popular choice for ladies at Halloween. There aren't many rules when it comes to dressing as a witch, but there are a few common ideas you'll want to bear in mind.
The best thing about the plus size witch costume is that it can be as tight or as loose as you want it to be. Witch costumes usually make use of long, black gowns (and black is known to be slimming). You can taper these slightly at the waste accentuate your curves in the most flattering way.
The costume is then finished off with some classic witch accessories. This almost always means a tall, pointed black witches hat and a broomstick. You may also choose to wear a long black or purple wig to help get yourself into character.
Subtle accessories useful for plus size figures include long gothic necklaces. These help to draw the attention down the body, creating a slimming effect. Long bell sleeves also help to add to this look.
Famous Witch Characters
If you want some inspiration for your witch costume then here are a few famous witches you could choose to imitate this Halloween.
- The Wicked Witch Of The West: This famous witch has a very distinguishing characteristic, and that is her bright green skin! This makes for a fun Halloween costume no matter what size you are. The dress itself is very long and black, with a classic witches hat to top it off.
- The Queen (Snow White): The Queen in Snow White is the famous witch who wants nothing more than to be the fairest in all the land. Her distinguishing feature is the huge collar on her dress, along with the golden crown.
- The Sea Witch: Ursula is the Sea Witch from the Little Mermaid. This has to be the ultimate plus size witch costume since Ursula was a large lady to begin with. Recreate her octopus tentacles on the end of a long black dress and you'll have something creative and eye-catching!
Creating your own plus size witch costume from scratch can be as simple or as complicated as you want it to be. On the other hand, you could opt to go as a famous witch such as those mentioned above. If so, check for licensed costumes available to buy ready made - these are often the most convincing.