BSU Men’s Hoops Visits No. 1 IU Sunday for Big Ten Network Game
MUNCIE, IN - The Ball State men’s basketball team hits the road for the first time this season for a Sunday matchup with the top-ranked Indiana Hoosiers. Tipoff is slated for 6 p.m. Sunday at Assembly Hall in Bloomington, Ind., with the game to be televised by the Big Ten Network.
Both teams played most recently on Tuesday with Ball State (2-1) suffering its first loss of the season to Indiana State and Indiana (5-0) posting an overtime victory over Georgetown.
- Television: Big Ten Network; Play-by-play: Chris Denari; Analyst: Shon Morris
- Radio (Flagship): Ball State Radio Network (104.1 FM WLBC); Play-by-play: Joel Godett; Analyst: David Eha
- Internet: Live audio at ballstatesports.com; live stats at iuhoosiers.com
A Quick Look at the Cardinals
Sunday’s game at Indiana is the first road contest this year for the Cardinals. Ball State is 2-1 on the season and looking to bounce back from its first defeat, a 68-48 loss Tuesday to Indiana State.
Senior guard Jauwan Scaife led the Cardinals with 16 points against the Sycamores, while junior forward Majok Majok posted his second double-double of the year with 15 points and 12 rebounds. Majok, the top rebounder in the Mid-American Conference, leads Ball State with averages of 14.3 points and 10.3 boards per game.
Preseason All-MAC West Division selection Jesse Berry has been averaging 12.0 points, while Scaife adds 11.3 to give the Cardinals three players averaging double figures. Freshman guard Marcus Posley averages 4.0 assists per game and leads the MAC in assist/turnover ratio at 6 to 1.
Junior forward Chris Bond is tied for the MAC lead with an average of 3.7 steals per game. The Cardinals’ roster features a different look this season as Ball State has added eight newcomers to its group of six returning players on the active roster.
- Ball State and Indiana have met 19 times previously with the Hoosiers winning 18 of them.
- The teams last played each other Dec. 30, 2006 at Assembly Hall with Indiana winning, 71-57.
- Ball State is looking for its first road win against the Hoosiers with Indiana having won each of the previous 12 meetings in Bloomington.
- Ball State’s win in the series came by a 42-38 score in December 1937 under head coach Branch McCracken, who coached both the Cardinals and the Hoosiers.
Cardinals vs. No. 1
Sunday’s game will be the third ever for Ball State against a team ranked No. 1 in the AP poll. The Cardinals’ previous meetings against the nation’s top team came Dec. 1, 1964 at Michigan (L, 92-70) and Nov. 21, 2001 against Duke (L, 83-71) in the Maui Invitational.
The loss to Duke came in the championship game in Maui after Ball State defeated No. 4 Kansas (93-91) and No. 3 UCLA (91-73) in its first two games at the event. No. 3 UCLA and No. 4 Kansas are the highest ranked teams Ball State has ever defeated.
Ball State played eventual national champion UNLV in the 1990 Sweet 16 (L, 69-67), but the Runnin’ Rebels entered that tournament ranked No. 2.
See more at ballstatesports.com