Bike Accident at Morrison and McGalliard
Accident on McGalliard and Morrison in Muncie Causes Afternoon Delays
Free Press Report
MUNCIE, IN - A man and his dog avoided serious injury Friday afternoon after they were knocked off their bicycle by an oncoming motorist.
The accident at busy Morrison and McGalliard roads before 4 p.m. backed up traffic but did not slow it down as bicyclist Dale Evans, 51, suffered just scrapes and bruises.
Traffic officer Kyle Temple reported that Evans was hit by a Saturn and he went over the hood while his dog riding in a basket was thrown to the street.
The dog was not injured and the Saturn driver was not cited. A Muncie fire truck was parked west of the scene so other motorists would not drive through it. Traffic continued to rush through the intersection as public safety crews attended to Evans.
With Ball State returning, there are thousands of pedestrians and bicyclists out so the word to motorists is to take your time.
Some bike safety tips to keep in mind:
- Never ride with more than one person on a bike, unless the bike is designed for two or more people.
- At least one hand must be kept on the handlebars at all times.
- Yield to pedestrians.
- Stay to the right side of the road.
- Obey all traffic signs and use hand signals.
- Ride with the flow of traffic.
- Wear bright colors to be visible to others.
- Do not allow straps or shoelaces to fly loose.
- Do not wear headphones.
- Watch for wet leaves, sand, rocks, cracks, puddles & glass.