Murder suspect in Muncie IN knew victim well

William V. Martz

William Martz gets July trial for murder of Mark Gilland

By Rick Yencer

MUNCIE, INDIANA (NEWS) The family of Mark Gilland watched every move of William V. Martz who they once called friend and now accused of murdering Gilland.

Martz, 58, offered only a few words to Delaware Circuit Court 3 Judge Linda Ralu Wolf who entered a not guilty plea, determined he was indigent and appointed him a public defender.

The bearded, gray hair man has a scare much like Charles Manson as Gilland's brothers, Doug and Mike and other family members, including Gilland's two daughters, Jennifer and Stacy looked on.

The initial court hearing lasted on minutes given Martz still had no legal counsel and offered no statement to police when he was found at a south Muncie hotel, driving Gilland's truck.

County and Eaton police found Gilland repeatedly shot in the head in a pole barn on property he owned and allowed Martz to live there in a camper.

The two had worked together in construction for years. And Gilland's brother, Mike talked about how Martz was a friend of the family until his brother and Martz had a falling out over a disagreement on how some work was done.

That was last summer, and Gilland encouraged Martz to move on. When Gilland tried to evict Martz by turning off the electricity to the trailer, Martz allegedly shot him with Gilland's gun and fled in his truck.

County police have witnesses who said Martz threatened to kill Gilland, and they also have the murder weapon.

Mike Gilland, as other family listened, told of how they trusted Martz, and knew him for years as someone who worked construction with Mark.

Doug Gilland said Martz turned on his brother and had stolen property, poisoned his dog and threatened him over being removed from the property in Eaton.

Mark Gilland worked at Ball State and was known to help anyone. Many of his family, including the two brothers and a sister, Sheryl Grant, showed the pain, and outrage over the senseless shooting after the hearing.

 While the murder charge carries a maximum 65 year sentence, some of Gilland;s family wanted a more severe punishment. The court set a July 7 trial and a formal hearing when a public defender represents Martz. The suspect remains in jail under no bond.


Facebook comments