Afternoon Crash Claims Muncie Woman's Life on IN 3
FREE PRESS REPORT
DELAWARE COUNTY (NEWS) - A Muncie woman was killed Tuesday when the car she was driving went left of center and struck a semi tractor trailer head on. The crash occurred just before 4 p.m. this afternoon on SR3 just south of Delaware County Road 500 North.
Leah Beaty, 47, Muncie, died when her north bound 1992 Cadillac drove left of center and struck a south bound 2004 International Tractor pulling a box trailer driven by Bert Cover, 58, Muncie. Cover was not injured in the crash. The investigation is ongoing, and it is unknown immediately why the Beaty drove left of center.
Trooper Lee Tinch investigated the crash along with Troopers Campbell, Perkins and Sergeant Jeff Zeiger. They were assisted at the scene by Hamilton Township Fire Department, Muncie Fire Department, Delaware County EMS and the Delaware County Sheriff’s Department.
During Memorial Day weekend, Indiana State Police have joined with over 250 Indiana law enforcement agencies participating in the Click It or Ticket Campaign, looking for aggressive and impaired drivers besides those not buckling up.
The Indiana State Police encourage all motorists to observe the following safety tips:
- Allow extra time to get to your destination.
- Don’t use cruise control in heavy traffic.
- Avoid abrupt stops and starts in heavy traffic-always signal lane changes.
- Use headlights even during daylight hours.
- Reduce your speed in rain and NEVER drive into flowing water.
- Decrease your speed in construction zones-Obey posted speed limits.
- REMEMBER TO SLOW DOWN AND MOVE OVER FOR EMERGENCY VEHICLES-This includes tow trucks and highway maintenance vehicles.
- Make sure you are well rested. A fatigued driver can be as dangerous as an impaired driver.
- Remember the two second rule and increase the distance between you and the vehicle ahead of you.
- Don’t forget to watch for slow moving farm equipment on county and state roads.
- Make sure you have a charged cell phone in your vehicle and NEVER TEXT WHILE DRIVING!
- Buckle Up! Your best chance at surviving any crash is by wearing your safety belt.
- Never mix prescription drugs with alcohol.
- NEVER DRIVE IMPAIRED-HAVE A DESIGNATED DRIVER!